- 1 Cash Plus
- 2 Lloyd’s Bank
- 3 Metro Bank
- 4 Bank of Scotland
- 5 Barclays
- 6 Yorkshire Bank
- 7 HSBC
- 8 TSB
- 9 Santander
If you want to maximize the value of your hard-earned money, don’t open an account with any of the big banks in the UK until you’ve read our article. We’ve taken the next step and removed the guesswork for you. Give it a quick read-through and find out what these top banks are offering for you to avail of their business bank account package.
Please take note that the banks are presented in order of their online rankings. However, their position is by no means an indicator of their level of service.
Cashplus was the recipient of the Top Challenger Bank award in 2017 from Paybefore. The award is given to banks which have consistently provided the best in customer care in convenience.
Cashplus points to their fast processing of payments, automated service, innovative new products, and their practice of not charging its customers any maintenance fees.
What can you expect when you sign up with Cashplus?
- Fast online processing service
- Automated system that uses the latest accounting software
- No need for a credit check
- Packaged with a Business Mastercard
- Fast approval; use it right away once you are approved
- Easy and convenient payment system; simply visit any UK Post Office
- Gain 24/7 access to your account via mobile app or online customer support service
- Only pay a one-time annual fee of GBP £69; no recurring monthly fee
Lloyd’s Bank started out in 1765 and remains one of the largest providers of financial services in the United Kingdom. Unlike other banks, Lloyd’s customises the bank account package according to the business performance of the client. Whether you are a startup or a company that has been in business for decades, Lloyd’s Bank has something to fit your business needs.
What can you expect when you sign up with Lloyd’s Bank?
- Easy to follow pricing system
- Available cost calculator online
- Make electronic payments without having to pay fees
- Updated technology and tools for your business
- Withdraw from the cash machine without any charge
- Download the mobile app for convenient banking
- Use your Debit Card without worrying about transaction fees
- World class customer support services from the UK office
- New businesses get free 18-day business banking service
If you are thinking of using Metro Bank’s services, please take note that the bank has a number of requirements. First, you have to be at least 18 years old to open an account. Second, your balance sheet should show your business has a turnover of at least GBP 2 Million. If you have shareholders, 50% of the shares must be held by residents of the UK. Lastly, at least 50% of your directors should be residents of the UK. Metro Bank is not so popular but its brand of service appeals to newer businesses.
What can you expect when you sign up with Metro Bank?
- Hands-on service extended by local bank managers
- Banking made easy with its mobile app
- Availability of 24/7 customer support
- Banks are open 7 days a week
- No monthly maintenance fees if your bank balance stays above GBP 5,000
- If your balance stays above GBP 5,000, you get 50 transactions free- of- charge
Bank of Scotland
Bank of Scotland is part of the Lloyd’s Banking Group and is one of the oldest banks in the United Kingdom. It was founded in 1695. Bank of Scotland offers a wide range of products and services including credit/debit cards, loans, and overdrafts. If you’re thinking of banking with the Bank of Scotland but are unsure of the costs, you can access their online current account calculator and find out what the corresponding fees and charges are.
What can you expect when you sign up with the Bank of Scotland?
- Access to a wide range of banking products and services
- Easy-to-follow pricing system
- The Business Knowledgebox – a collection of online reports and reference materials on anything and everything related to business
- Cash withdrawals without the need of an ATM
- Customer support through multiple points of contact – phone, online, and in-branch
- Electronic transactions without charges and fees
- A dedicated switch team that can guarantee a successful transition within 7 days.
Barclays is one of the UK top banks that places a premium on customer loyalty. Using a formula that calculates your tenure with the bank and the credit turnover per annum, Barclays will credit to your account a percentage of the monthly charges. On average, the amount of the pay-out will range from 5% and 50% of the total monthly charges.
You can choose from a Payments Plan and a Mixed Payments Plan. The Payments Plan is ideal for businesses that transact electronically or those that primarily do online banking. The Mixed Payments Plan was designed for businesses that transact through traditional means – cheques and cash among others.
What can you expect when you sign up with Barclays?
- Customer support for handling issues, concerns, and complaints
- Pricing plans that are customized per type of business
- Insurance services from Allianz
- For those who choose the Payments Plan, there will not be any charges on your electronic transactions
- Full-range of business products and services
- Company-sponsored business review to assess if you have subscribed to the right plan
- Dedicated switching team
- Special services are available for those in the social housing and agricultural industries
- Loyalty benefits for long-tenured customers
Another one of the older banks in the United Kingdom, Yorkshire Bank was founded in Halifax in 1859. Yorkshire Bank offers 2 types of business bank accounts. The Business Choice Account’s main feature is a credit interest that is linked with the base rate of the Bank of England. The Business Current Account offers free 25-month banking service that is perfect for new clients and start-ups.
What can you expect when you sign up with Yorkshire Bank?
- Available for businesses that generate a turnover of under GBP2 Million
- Wide network of bank branches
- Simple and convenient switching process
- Unlimited withdrawals although fees may be charged
- Accessible customer support services
- Customized reporting system
- Availability of online services
HSBC is not just among the top banks in the UK. It is also one of the biggest banking groups in the world.If you are planning to bank with HSBC, you can avail of the 12 months introductory offer where all bank charges and fees are waived. Once the introductory period is over, the customer will have a choice of 2 business banking packages that combine a mix of free transactions and fixed maintenance fees.
The Electronic Banking Tariff offers free online transactions but a small fee is charged on cash transactions. The Small Business Tariff will charge a small fee on cash transactions and a higher fee for online transactions. For start-ups, the bank offers an introductory period of 18 months.
What can you expect when you sign up with HSBC?
- Multiple access points for its banking services
- Wide network of branches at Post Offices
- Free introductory period ranging from 12 to 18 months
- Businesses that generate a turnover of GBP 2 Million will qualify for HSBC’s Best Tariff Promise
- Fixed price post-introductory offer for 12 months
- Available consultation from the bank’s Business Specialists
- Availability of face-to-face business reviews
- For businesses that have international operations, HSBC can provide trading advice
TSB was founded in 1810 and is also part of the Lloyds Banking Group. If you plan to transfer banks, TSB will dedicate a team to handle the switch so that your business can continue to operate without a hitch. Like most banks, TSB’s introductory packages will not include charges and fees. Once the introductory period is over, you can choose from 3 business banking options.
The first one is called Fixed Fee Account which is has a 3-tier payment structure. Transactions will have fixed charges but have different monthly fees. The second option is called the Business Extra Tariff. It will not have a monthly fee. However, you will be charged for every transaction. The third option is called the Electronic Business Tariff. This was conceptualised for businesses that predominantly do online banking transactions. With this option, there are no monthly fees and you will be charged every time you transact with the bank.
What can you expect when you sign up with TSB?
- Faster processing of payments
- 18-months of free banking services for new customers and businesses
- Ability to export your statements into the finance package of your choice
- Dedicated team to make switching faster and more convenient
- Receive updates regarding your account through text alerts
- Choose the tariff package that suits your needs
- More than 500 branches to transact with
- Access your account via phone or online
- Consult with an expert Business Advisor
Santander is a multi-awarded institution and is a subsidiary of Banco Santander, one of the most recognizable global banking brands in the industry. Banking with Santander is easy and convenient. The bank has incorporated a simple payment structure which ranges from GBP 7.50 to GBP 40 per month with a cash deposit limit that is set from GBP 1,000 to GBP 10,000.
Standard transactions which involve cash withdrawals, payments, and cheques generally do not involve fees although some restrictions may apply. Non-standard banking transactions such as CHAPS payments, change giving, and foreign exchange are charged corresponding fees.
What can you expect when you sign up with Santander?
- Availability of an online calculator so you can find out the cost of signing up with the bank
- Simple and easy to follow payment structure
- Availability of online and mobile banking channels
- Option to bank at their Post Office branches
- Low monthly interest of 0.10% gross on credit balances